Páginas

Ajude a manter esse blog

segunda-feira, maio 20, 2019

The walk to Hathersage (English version)

(This is a rush translation. The version may not be in its final form.)


You ask me why I preferred to publish my book under a male pseudonym. It would not be difficult to realize that we women are generally seen as incapable of articulating useful discourse, and our bodies are the excuse for personal judgments when such discourses reach the public.

Our lives prove it. The stories from which I set out, woven by the forces of tradition and destiny, too.

One of them is the story - I witnessed these facts as a young lady - from a young maid married to a handsome tavern owner. They had a child, but shortly afterward she discovered that he was actually already married. This could ruin a woman's life. His justification was that the real wife was crazy and he could not bear to live alone. She herself became very disturbed, having been taken by her relatives to the city where I was born.

Another story I heard when I went to visit my friend Ellen in 1845 at her brother's wedding. He'd asked me for an engagement years before, and I had not accepted, as you know. In the region we came to know, a shadowy mansion kept a tragic accident. A woman given as mentally unbalanced lived confined in one of the rooms of the house. Unfortunately, she was the victim of a fire.

I and my sisters use masculine pseudonyms because what matters is the work.

I wonder, was it all the will of fate or could it have been different? Are we not the same in spirit?

I wrote my book in a dark room while taking care of my convalescent father.

I had a mysterious fever just before I finished it.

My sister teased me that it was my Christian spirit that reproached me for revealing the truth.

Afonso Junior Ferreira de Lima, 2016

https://afonsojunior.blogspot.com/2016/10/o-passeio-hathersage.html

Nenhum comentário: