Páginas

Ajude a manter esse blog

domingo, março 31, 2019

The unknown (English version)

(This is a rush translation. The version may not be in its final form.)


He had published some short stories in a popular magazine.

The priest, a reader, had called the young man to go into the house that the locals claimed to be dominated by strange phenomena. The cold weather and the gray sky did not help.

The boy seemed to have lived through his teenage years in a library and his grandfather's laboratory, a curious and learned industrialist.


Shortly after his grandfather's death, his mother went to an insane asylum, married and lived with his wife for two years until she decided to move in with her family. He has not practically left home for many years.

When she arrived at the house, the young wife told about chandeliers swaying without wind, shadows passing through the corridors, and how she vomited blood the very first night. The priest was worried about the children - increasingly unhealthy and tearful - and asked them to leave the house. He stayed with them a little and left before dark.

The husband seemed skeptical.


"We needed more space and we'll never find such a house at a better price." has even garden for children to play. But my wife is upset.

The woman asked him to sleep in the house one night.

"I'm about to give up the purchase." We knew what happened here, but I feel overwhelmed and to the point of losing my mind.

The husband showed a magazine in which there was a tale of his about a monster from another planet.

"I dreamed of a Japanese drawing of an octopus on a woman. They have become creatures never seen, beings that adapt to the environment.


They had dinner. In front of the fireplace, her husband spread the tea.

"My wife seems calmer just to see you here. It's as if the universe has a center, after all.

- I do not believe.

- As?

"I think the universe is absurd, dangerous, and cruel."

"Do not you believe in God?"

- I'm an outsider.

"Though you have aristocratic blood ... I hear you have English blood."

- Yes. I think America began its decadence when we left the English Throne. I usually search the genealogy. I'm a conservative. I've been having a lot of problems.

- Problems?

- Ever since I came to New York. So much promiscuity and ignorance.

- I understand. It's a lot of immigrants. "He offered a brandy.

- The noise. Blasphemy. Dirt, terrible smells. The contaminated city. Superstition.

- They're invaders. Shadows. Rats, "the man said, looking at the fire.

- Law and order disturbed. The worst tendency of humanity. The Russian sub-race. The Asian sub-race. They are mutations. No society can be stable without homogeneity.

There is a shout from the kitchen.


Afonso Jr. Ferreira de Lima

Nenhum comentário: